Wednesday October 12, 2016
The holidays are upon us. Along with the joy of the season we face some pretty monumental tasks in the days ahead. Namely: keeping your house clean. Whether it's kids, pets, parties, or unexpected guests, the last thing you need is to add stress to your already busy calendar.
So to save time and energy, we put together some great tips and tricks to help make your holiday cleaning a breeze.
- Use an extension cord to move your vacuum throughout the house. That way, you don't have to keep searching for an outlet.
- Turn up the music! There's no better time to enjoy music than when you're cleaning. Free programs/apps like Spotify will let you create your own playlists. They even have premade ones dedicated to cleaning (and the holidays). Try to stay away from TV shows, movies, etc. as those can distract you from getting everything done. Remember, we're trying to be super-efficient here.
- When cleaning items on a shelf, move everything to side and clean their spot. Dust them off, then move them back to their position. Do the same for the other side of the shelf. It's far more efficient than moving items to a different location all at once and then having to sort them back.
- If you know you'll be cooking something greasy (or messy) on the stove, put foil under the grill to catch drips and spatters. If you have a ceramic cooktop, have a bottle of cleaning spray on hand to clean off the surface once the top cools down. Remember, you want to clean it as soon as possible to prevent stains.
- Create a plan of attack. Break down your home into manageable areas. Declutter daily in all the main rooms. During the holidays it is especially important to make sure your dishes are cleaned and put away daily. Invest in a box of tough/heavy duty outdoor trash bags to capture all the trash from a holiday event. It makes cleanup much easier when you don't have to worry about tears in the bag from box edges, plastic pieces, liquids or other foods.
- Need to disinfect your sponges? Get them wet, squeeze them out, and microwave them on high for a minute. Keep in mind that you can't do this for metal, plastic, or acrylic pieces.
- Refreshing your bathroom is easier than you think. Drop a teaspoon of Tang Drink Mix in the toilet bowl and let it sit for a few minutes. In the meantime, run some lemon juice or a bit of cheap toothpaste over the chrome pieces in your bathroom. You don't need much. Use a scrubber or a disinfected old toothbrush and some warm water to clean the chrome. When that's done, go back to the toilet bowl, flush, and scrub using a toilet brush. If the room still looks dingy, consider replacing the shower liner for a refreshing change.
- Set a timer. If you know how long it takes you to accomplish a task, you'll actually feel better about doing them. Did you know that most chores only take about 10 minutes? How's that for awesome?
- (Link: http://www.championcarpetcolorado.com/kick-spring-action-dont-set-stain/) And finally, have your carpet cleaning solutions on hand for quick spill cleanup.
Enjoy your holidays and don't let the mess overwhelm you. Being a #ChampionMom doesn't mean everything has to be perfect, it just has to be perfect for you and your needs.