Wednesday December 13, 2017
The holidays are here and before you can kick back and enjoy yourself with family and friends, there are a few things to check off your to-do list.
Are you hosting a big holiday celebration this year? Or maybe you’re just having a few family members over for Christmas dinner? Either way, you’ll want to have your house holiday-ready so you can enjoy your visitors when the time comes.
Here are some great tips to get your house ready for the holiday season.
Spring Cleaning in the Winter Time
Now is a great time to do a deep cleaning on your house. Think of it as your holiday “Spring Cleaning”.
- Dust all furniture and fixtures.
- Wipe down the walls, doors, mantel, and door frames.
- Sweep the floors if they are hard-wood or tile.
- Vacuum the carpet (you will probably also want to get a steam cleaner to do a deep cleaning).
- Move your furniture and clean underneath.
- Clean all the toilets and sinks (don’t forget the guest bathroom!).
If you don’t have time for a holiday deep clean, you can always gift yourself with a one-time cleaning from a housekeeping service.
Don’t Forget the Outside
You want your guests to see your Christmas lights and holiday décor--not a messy yard! Before you can deck your halls, you’ll want to do some outdoor cleanup to get the space ready.
- Rake up any leaves, trim your shrubbery, and clean up any branches so your lawn is nice and tidy.
- Clean out the gutters and downspouts.
- If you’re living in a winter wonderland, you need to take a little extra care. Shovel walkways, salt any surfaces that get slick and make sure your driveway is clear.
Light It Up
Last but certainly not least, now is the time to decorate your house. You’ve done the prep work so now you’re ready to go! Invest in decorations that suit your style. You can go as big or small as you like. Stockings on the fireplace, a wreath on the front door, a big Christmas tree (or two…the sky’s the limit here!). String lights along the edge of the house and shrubs and walkways. Nothing is more inviting than some Christmas lights!
If you need a little extra help, you can always hire a professional decorator to light up the house for you.
This holiday, take a little time to get your home ready for the holidays before the guests arrive. You’ll be able to enjoy a stress-free celebration and focus on time spent with family and friends.