Sunday August 9, 2020
It’s always a stressful time when you are a mom, but the summer months can really ramp that stress up to new levels. Kids stuck inside complaining about being bored can be aggravating enough. But when they are home, you have less time for yourself and the things you need to do around the house. That’s why it is so important to take care of yourself so that you don’t snap.
Here are tips on how to handle self-care this summer for the moms out there:
- Get a schedule going — First off, one of the things that make the school year run so smoothly isn’t that the kids aren’t home. It’s that they are on a schedule. Many kids respond well to regulated time frames, so do the same during the summer. But this helps with self-care because you can be sure to find a way to schedule time for yourself.
- Do something for yourself — At least once a day, you need to find an opportunity to do something, anything, that brings joy to your life (and doesn’t involve the kids). Yes, we love our children. But we also need to love ourselves. So put these items into your schedule and mix them up:
- A quiet bubble bath;
- Reading a good book;
- Watching a TV show that you pick (that doesn’t involve talking animals or super-heroes).
If you only have 15 or 20 minutes of time that you can work in, you can mix and match these activities to fit into your schedule. But do something that helps you feel better and more connected with yourself.
- Schedule a date night — Don’t forget that your romantic relationship is also important. If you schedule a date night with your significant other, it gives you a chance to cut loose and relax and reconnect with your partner.
- Or a girls’ night out — And then sometimes, you just need to relax with the girls. If you can’t go out as a group, then have your spouse watch the kids so you can all get together at a friend’s house and enjoy some margaritas and bad reality TV.
There are lots of things that you can do this summer to relax and unwind. The thing to remember is that you should find something that truly speaks to you and then find the time and opportunity to enjoy yourself.